Pioneering author, physician, and researcher Tom Ferguson coined the term e-patients to describe individuals who are equipped, enabled, empowered and engaged in their health and healthcare decisions. He envisioned health care as an equal partnership between e-patients and the health professionals and the health systems that support them.
Here is the link for e-patient whitepaper produced by Tom Ferguson, MD, and the e-patients Scholars Working Group.
The whitepaper consists of the following informative chapters:
- Hunters and Gatherers of Medical Information
- Content, Connectivity and Communityware
- Patient-centered Networks – Connected Communities of Care
- The Surprisingly Complex World of e-Communities
- e-Patients as Medical Researchers
- Learning from e-Patients
- The Autonomous Patient and Reconfiguration of Medical Knowledge
We do hope that all clinicians and care professionals would whole-heartedly embrace the concept of empowered and informed patients, leveraged by information technology.